Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Good morning. You are one day closer to the end of the world.


Leave it to October to get me back in the saddle.

Again, it's been a quiet year here getting to this point. In my defense, it's been a busy one. New job, new hours, new curves thrown as a result of said job.

Now that we're coming up on a year, I'm finally getting back in a groove where it's time to dust this sucker off again.

Well, that and Halloween motivates me like few other things, so there's that as well.

I'm still at peace with the fact that my schedule means putting to rest the '31 movies' plan I used to do, but in turn, I did enjoy last year's franchise deep dive on Phantasm, so I decided this would be a good way to continue for October this year. Like last time, I picked from a few franchises I felt had both a manageable workload as well as good material to dig into.



The votes came in and this year I'm going all in on one of the heavy hitters of evil horror children – The Omen.

I'd be lying if I said up front I wasn't a little struck by how apropos this feels as a choice despite being selected by vote. That this year's series is, at its core, about a white guy born into affluence who effortlessly climbs the ladder of power as other forces are constantly moving to eliminate all those who would stop him or learn too much about him just...

Sorry, had to get that out of my system now or it was gonna back up on me later. It's been a year.

Anyway, the first entry will be going up later this week with Richard Donner's 1976 classic. Given the number of titles covered this month, there aren't really hard set days as we're going over the count to make it a single day of the week cycle, but will actively keep things moving.

Because I also am adding a bonus at the end of this month – because I was already morbidly curious to begin with, and because I could find them all dirt cheap, I'm sweetening the pot on this particular franchise run. Alongside doing the original four movies and the 2006 remake, I will close out the month with a look at the Omen novel series – in particular the final two book only sequels that were never tapped for movies, which are...well... I'd say to Google Armageddon 2000 for a taste of what's coming, but part of me wants to surprise you all. Let's just say it's...it's something else.

I do it because I love you.
...actually, it's because I'm kind of really looking forward to seeing how completely batshit these last books get. Even the early ones take the stories shown in the movies and give 'em a shiny coat of weirdness.


So, with the formalities now out of the way, the first movie will be going up later this week.

Look at me readers, it's all for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment