Thursday, October 1, 2020

Can't Sleep, Pods Will Eat Me

Ahhh, I love this time of year. The air's cool and crisp, the leaves are changing, and, of course, the opportunity to bury myself face-first in horror and inhale deeply.

With that odd visual in your minds, welcome back to the Third Row, the site that has currently taken the status of 'annual curse', lying dormant until October, when it rises again to ramble across the earth.

2020 has been...let's just say it, cause we're all in it - it's been a shitshow. I've toyed with bringing this back in other forms throughout the year with mixed results, but in any event, I remain committed to the current October model.

For those who are just joining us this year, here's the rundown – way back in my younger, slightly more free timed days, this month took the practice of '31 days, 31 movies' as its model. It was fun, but the time does add up. A few years back, I decided I wanted to get back on the horse, but changed the model – picking a single horror franchise and doing a month-long deep dive on it. In past years, this has taken us through the Phantasm series, The Omen, and John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy (more thematic than franchise, but I'll happily take an excuse to talk about my loves of The Thing and In the Mouth of Madness.)

This year, I'm again testing the boundaries of the word 'franchise.' Like last year, the installments are all standalone, united under a common theme, but a much more direct one.

By now, many of you have likely guessed by the title of this piece – this year it's Body Snatchers time.


In other news, my attempts at herb gardening during lockdown
this year have gone hideously awry.

I'll admit it – I'm pretty psyched for this particular series run. A big part of that is the fact that, at it's core, the horror of the Body Snatchers is one that is fairly evergreen, and one that, as this dive will show, can be readily reinvented and retooled to sync up with any number of other real fears depending when it is made.

So keep an eye out here throughout this month. Things will be kicking off proper with the 1956 Don Siegel classic soon, followed by Philip Kaufman's iconic 1978 remake, then Abel Ferrara's fairly creepy 1993 offering, and coming to a finish with the 2000s remake.

Give or take for time, there will be some bonus content as well (alas, no wild Dark Horse tie-in comic this year that I'm aware of), but that will depend on how things shape up.

In the meantime, will be back here soon. Everyone, stay safe out there.


And oh yes,get lots of sleep.
No reason. Just something we humans all need.

No comments:

Post a Comment