Saturday, January 23, 2021

2021 – New Year, New Project

I know, I'm surprised to be awake right now too.

Jokes aside, like many people, I had some time to do a lot of thinking last year while we were all stuck in various levels of quarantine. One of the things I came away from that realizing was, for all the ups and downs, I do miss working on this site on something of a semi-regular basis. The Halloween projects have been fun, but in the lead-up/follow through, I come away wondering why I don't do more.

Then, sometime late last year, an idea hit, inspired by two other events of 2020 (no, not those events.)

The first was of these was being invited by a friend to participate in a backlog challenge. This challenge, initially with regards to anime and manga, was a personal challenge to work through things in our backlogs that we hadn't gotten around to finishing previously and had on the back burner.

Still taking part in that as well, but I won't be documenting that one here, save for maybe if I find a particular title I really feel needs the extra shout out.

The other, and this was a biggie, was officially moving in with my significant other. In this case, it led to the inevitable meshing of our collected media.

In doing so, I came to the realization we have amassed as a sizable number of Criterion Collection movies between us. Not necessarily a superfan-sized collection, but enough that at a title a week, this would still take a couple of years go to through.

Subsequently, I mulled over the best way to go about this. I briefly considered doing brackets, either with voting or random draw, but after a point, it just felt like overthinking.

Then it hit me – just keep doing what I had done every October, but on a year-round basis.

So, with each month, I'll be picking a few titles (two minimum) for a theme run to work my way through the collection with.

And just to say up front (and slightly tip my hand) yes, this year this will also effect October's line-up, but this should be a fun one, so there's that.

I will also be doing what I can to work other projects in besides these, but this felt like a good way to work back into something with more regularity.

With that said, I'll be starting this off with two titles this week for January. The theme, in keeping with the kickoff, is Famous Firsts – noted directorial debuts.

Keep your eyes out for that first entry by Tuesday at latest.

Till then!

...ah, what the Hell?
I'll drop a hint for the first up.
Who knows, this might become a feature of these now.



No comments:

Post a Comment